Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sunny day

karma |ˈkärmə|noun(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.informal destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.

I remember having a discussion about karma with my Hindu labmate a few months ago. He said, as surprising as it was to me, that the Western concept of karma wasn't too far off the mark. In the US, I've heard of, and think of karma as some amalgamation of "the golden rule", "what goes around, comes around", and "balance in the universe", and according to his concept of karma, this fit in pretty well.

How about that?

I was reminded of a particular reference to karma this morning. Walking back from getting a coffee this quotation popped into my head as I was taking a sip of frothy goodness and accidentally spewed foamy milk on my nose and shirt.

Scott's response to coming home to a destroyed house after the awards ceremony at the Graduate Exhibition:
"Well how about that for karma? Win a prize, come home to a pile of sh*t."

Maybe not so funny to most people, and not even here, because the delivery is half of the humor, but in my mind, it was priceless.

But really, karma? I think not, because any frustration at having to pick up shredded pieces of a book, and other doggy "gifts", certainly did not overpower the thrill of the awards, and even more so, provided me with this wonderful memory to brighten my already beautiful day.



No comments: